Today, 7 out of 10 deaths are from preventable causes. We have the best technology for keeping the sick alive, but we don’t effectively help the healthy stay healthy, or happy.
Use the Fitness Forward pyramid: Click on links to go to summary articles and references on each topic.
· Obesity-related causes account for about 300,000 US deaths/ year, and 9.4% of health care costs ($98 billion in 1997).
· Over 60% of US adults are overweight; 30% are obese. Over 15% of children are above a healthy weight; 25% of these kids already show signs of insulin resistance.
· Obese white women get smaller paychecks on average.
Here are the top two guidelines for understanding and addressing obesity in clinical practice. Development of children's guidelines are underway.
· National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Obesity Guidelines
· American Medical Association: Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity